Fire shuts down Magazine Street candle shop after Hurricane Ida destroyed original store

0

Tiffany Brown says it may take months to get back to business, but in the meantime she plans to fulfill orders from home.

NEW ORLEANS — Wicks NOLA owner Tiffany Brown spent years working to get her storefront, but it only took minutes for her to ignite.

On Sunday April 3, she received a call from a neighbor who told her there was a fire at her candle shop on Magazine Street.

When she arrived, the white walls were covered in soot and the chandeliers barely clung to the ceiling.

“My heart sank,” Brown said. “I couldn’t believe what happened so fast, but I was really so grateful that no one was hurt. That none of the fires had spread to other businesses because that would have been terrible. I would have felt very bad.

The official report from the New Orleans Fire Department has not been released, but Brown believes the cause of the fire was equipment she uses to make her candles that may have malfunctioned.

She said the only good thing to come out of it was that no one was injured and the fire was brought under control.

“It could have been worse,” Brown said. “I still have a house to go to every day. If it had all been ashes, I still have a family, I still have a home to go to every day.

This is the second setback Brown has faced in the past 12 months.

Its first storefront was located in Kenner, but was destroyed during Hurricane Ida.

And while starting all over again can be difficult, it’s an obstacle she doesn’t doubt she can overcome.

Brown says it may take months to get back to business, but in the meantime she plans to fulfill orders from home.

If you want to help, just make a purchase at Wicks NOLA website or send Cashapp or Venmo donations to $wicksnola504.

Click here to report a typo.

► Receive the latest news from your neighborhood directly by downloading the new FREE WWL-TV News app now in the IOS app store or google play.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.