Sprinkler system quickly stops garage fire from spreading to NE Bend apartments

0

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – A fire sprinkler system at an apartment complex northeast of Bend stopped a garage fire apparently started by incense or a candle on Saturday night, preventing major damage and allowing evacuated residents to return for the night, a fire official said.

Bend Fire & Rescue crews responded around 9:30 p.m. to a commercial fire alarm at Pilot Butte Reservations, off NE Sedalia Lane and Highway 20, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.

Arriving crews heard the fire alarm sound and found water coming from one of the attached garages at the rear of the building. Derlacki said crews also found smoke in a garage and other crews were called.

Firefighters accessed the garage and found the fire had been put out by a sprinkler head, Derlacki said. It caused minor damage to the property of the occupant and to the building.

But the sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading through the building, which has 22 units whose occupants were able to return home for the night.

The fire appears to have been started by unattended incense or a candle that was too close to combustibles in the garage, Derlacki said. It all started on a table in the garage, with cardboard and crafting supplies on it.

Two engines, a ladder truck, a medic and a battalion commander responded to the fire.

“The Bend Fire Department reminds everyone never to leave candles, incense or similar burning items unattended,” Derlacki said in a news release. “Candles are one of the five most common types of fires in homes nationwide. Be sure to keep candles and incense at least one foot from any combustibles and always extinguish the flame before to leave the room or go to bed.”

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.